Tuesday, October 31, 2006

more adventures with mylo

So I took it for a full test run on campus. Alas, I discovered more things wrong with this device.

First of all, the UChicago campus is not entirely wireless. Instead, there are numerous wi-fi access points scattered across campus. Therefore, I can't really use this device to communicate in b/w classes b/c I am outside where there are no wi-fi access points.

Second, I think the mylo keeps kicking me off the network because if I am idle for a long time, I lose my wi-fi connection. Thus, I have to go through the tedious process of reauthenticating myself and figuring out where my conversation was held last. Unfortunately, there is no save feature for conversations, so I lose my place a lot.

Stuff that was pretty cool (conceptually).

It was nice to check my email without having to go to a computer station or bring out my laptop. The mylo is definitely a lot more discreet than my laptop for class. Although I can always claim that I'm taking notes on my laptop during class, the professors always know that is never the case.

The What's Up feature seems so promising, but I don't know anyone with a Mylo (so no ad-hoc messaging) or anyone that does not use AIM. Seems like a great idea to consolidate all ways to communicate into one feature.

A lot of my friends thought the device looked really cool. Got a lot of thumbs up on design... they did think it was a phone at first, but alas.. the mylo has no phone capability.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home