Monday, September 11, 2006

MyStrands... interesting combination of social networking and music sharing

Businessweek ran an article on MyStrands, a site that combines a high-tech music recommendation system with social networking. I got curious, so I decided to check out the site and see how it works.

After downloading the plug-in (Itunes and Windows Media Player compatible), I installed the software for I-Tunes and gave it a test-spin.

The MyStands plug-in automatically builds your personal music profile based on the music you play in I-Tunes. Your profiles lets you find music tailored to your tastes and lets you see and share playlists of your favorite and most played songs. You can organize your music with playlists and tags, see what your friends are listening to, autofill your mobile device with the music you love, and keep discovering new music based on instant recommendations.

The MyStrands plug-in was pretty simple to use. After syncing my music with the MyStrands World catalog, every song I play, there will be a list of recommended songs that links you to the relevant information such as band, songs, number of times played, highly rated, etc. If a recommended song is available, you can listen to a sample of that song online (if available).

They have an app out for mobile phones as they want to bring the MyStrands technology to the mobile phone. This may be worth checking out. (Unfortunately, I don't have data services on my plan.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home