Thursday, November 09, 2006

Let the pinging begin (occasionally)!

So I always appreciate when a reader of my blog emails me with positive comments and makes suggestions of other applications I should check out. Honestly, I love feedback, and if you have any applications that should be noted or checked out... Definitely leave a comment or email me.

Anyway, a reader kindly emailed me about a mobile messaging application called Pinger. It's a pretty interesting application and a novel idea. Pinger is instant voice messaging for your mobile phone. There are no rings, no greetings, no lengthly prompts, and no keypad typing. You can send messages by dialing the pinger number... or on the web. You can import contacts from a wide variety of sources like Yahoo! Mail, Gmail, Palm desktop, Thunderbird, AOL, Hotmail, MySpace, and Entourage.

How do you send a message? As I said before, there are two ways. First way is to use your computer. As long as your computer has computer speakers with microphone capabilities, you can use this application. It is a little strange talking to a computer. You can also review your message if you think your voice sounds a little too weird and creepy. The second way is to use your mobile phone like you use your voicemail. The good thing is that you skip through the long prompts and can go straight to your messages.

You can also forward and reply to your pinger messages via phone and computer. You can also broadcast your pinger message to a group or as many people as you want.

Now what is the practicality behind this? Well, it is quite a novel concept except I can't seem to place its position in my arsenal of communication methods. First, the beauty of texting is that it is discreet. I can do it anywhere without attracting attention (especially during class or at work). With Pinger, it's great that I don't have to disturb my friends when they are sleeping or in class; however, I may as well text them to begin with.

Then there is the argument that Pinger is easy because you don't have to type out the text on a keypad. Well, that is what the predictive text option is for on your mobile phone. In addition, heavy texters also have the option of getting phones with QWERTY keypads or touchscreens.

I can see Pinger as a cool alternative to sending email especially to my friends abroad. (I can save a lot of money by not calling them.) Then again, VOIP applications such as Skype is making that dirt cheap too.

My verdict: Pinger is a great novelty, but it does not serve much useful purpose unless your friends prefer your voice to a text.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home