Friday, February 02, 2007

our difficulty finding a taxi cab

This past weekend, we were on our way back to the dorm from a bar. Then, we realized that we didn't have a phone number to get a cab. There are taxi stands all over Paris, but apparently everyone was going home when we were going home. This is usually never a good proposition as four girls are never really safe at 3 am in the middle of Paris.

After numerous failed attempts to procure a number, I realized that if only I had access to a list of important phone numbers in Paris at my disposal, I would never had this problem. It was times like these that I wish I had a GPS system or access to the internet on my phone so that I can find the fastest (and safest) way back home. Nowadays, it's so important to stay connected just so you're not a target. Although having a GPS tag is like having an eye forever watching you, I don't know if my privacy is more valuable than me being safe and in constant contact with a friend. As more municipal wi-fi systems are being put up in cities across the U.S. (and in Europe), it is becoming easier for one to stay connected. However, imagine how much easier it is for the governments to start watching you. It doesn't sound like the safe and peaceful utopia one would hope for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home