Monday, March 26, 2007

back in chicago

It's strange being back in America after spending 11 weeks in Europe. Although the fantastically warm weather helped me ease back into American campus life, I can already see some changes in the way I communicate with others. As I am now back on my plan with "minutes that I would somehow never be able to use," I find myself calling a lot more people again. Although I check Facebook just as often as I did back in Paris, I usually check it more out of boredom rather than trying to keep in touch with people. I am now incredibly active on Google Calendar as I feel that's the best way for me to keep track of all of my appointments, classes, and meals/drinks with friends. The option to send reminders via SMS was great until I realized that I got charged for receiving messages as well.

I must admit though. I do miss text messaging on my phone. Too bad I would have to pay a lot just to get an SMS package added to the family plan. I don't even know if I would even get the SMS package after college as many of my friends do prefer calling over texting especially with long distances. Many of my friends are relocating to New York due to jobs, and they will probably use email and/or Facebook to stay in contact rather than use SMS. I'm sure if I had a lot of friends staying in Chicago, texting would be a good alternative to staying in touch.

We'll see how this trimester/quarter goes. I do have a lot of friends who are taking leaves of absences and not taking classes, so I may never see them on campus. As I cannot call every friend who is taking leave, texting or email would be much easier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home