Wednesday, March 28, 2007

mobile avatar communities

Last summer, I remember having a conversation with a UChicago alum about having a mobile community based on avatars as an upcoming trend. Now it is March 28th, and NextGreatThing basically echoes that sentiment. With the huge popularity of avatar-driven social networking sites such as Second Life and Cyworld, it has only been a waiting game until mobile handset technology enables us to view and care for our avatars on our mobile screens.

CBS has just created an avatar-based game for the show, "America's Next Top Model." In partnership with Cyworld, NBC is launching an avatar-based game called Fancy, who is a character on the popular soap drama, Passions.

Avatars do create a more entertaining way to communicate and interact with others in a virtual world. People's vanity does tend to get them to care more about their avatars. One could leave a MySpace or Facebook profile as is for a long time; however, people do tend to change the look of their avatars just as frequently as they change their clothes everyday. With companies moving to Second Life as a way to reach the young tech-savvy consumers, bringing such capabilities to mobile phones is a natural step in the development of social networking communities.

As much as I said I would never bring Facebook, Myspace, or Cyworld with me through mobile, I must admit (and some of my other friends as well) that I would probably check these sites if I had a phone with an internet package. This was the case when I was in Europe. I had 10 minutes of internet time with my pay-per-use phone plan. I used all of it on the first day, and went back to get more credit to view online later.

2 Comments:

At 4:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Much better to look at a dedicated world called the icitizen. You make an avatar for yourself and walk around in cities like london, New york etc. They hav elots of free games and videos and its updated constantly by other users with new content. They are also adding new features like PC 2 Mobile where you can play proper PC games on mobile. You can download a build to your handset from http://wap.icitizencommunity.com

 
At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

pattarumadom inventor needles separates politeness vivid incoming godfrey hinds pulkit retaliatory
lolikneri havaqatsu

 

Post a Comment

<< Home